Join Green Mary: Get in touch
Every year the Students' Union helps support a student group with focus on sustainability: the Green Mary Group. The aim of the group is to work together to improve and tackle sustainability issues on campus. If you would like to join check our Facebook group link or email email@example.com for more information
Also, keep an eye on this site and follow us on our green social media channels Facebook, Twitter & Instagram to keep up to date with the latest green news and events.
There are also plenty of other ways you can do your bit for sustainability. We want everyone to feel like they can tackle social, economic and environmental issues, and work towards creating a more socially responsible society and sustainable future.
Our checklist is below, why not try a new challenge each week?
Reduce your waste
- Grow your own veggies at the Queen Mary allotment
- Download the Too Good to Go app where you can buy food that outlets are about to throw away for a much cheaper price!
- Buy a re-usable water bottle. There are plenty of new water fountains on campus to refill it.
- Bring your own mug to Ground or the Learning Cafe and get 20% off your drink.
- Get a re-usable canvas bag for shopping
- Use a hand dryer instead of paper towels whenever possible.
- Donate clothes, shoes and other accessories you no longer need to charity and have a look at second-hand stores to renew your wardrobe. There are British Heart Foundation donation banks across campuses.
- Avoid using disposable paper plates, plastic utensils, and paper napkins.
- Print only when necessary, on both sides of paper and use black and white ink where possible.
- Donate any unwanted unopened non-perishable food items to Bow Foodbanks.
Meat requires vast amounts of resources to produce and is highly unsustainable. If you enjoy meat and don’t want to give it up a beef burger, try reducing the amount you eat, by substituting for non-meat options when you can.
- Union outlets like Ground Café, Drapers, The Griff Inn, Infusion and Village Shop offer Meat Free Mondays, where meat-free options are offered at 20% off the normal price every Monday.
- Turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth, turn all lights off when you’re not in the room, and all electronics and appliances when not in use.
- Ride your bike: it’s good for your health and the environment.
- Wash your clothes at 30 degrees: you will save money and energy.
- Cook with the lid on: not only it reduces the amount of energy required to cook your food by up to 90% but also cooks your food quicker. Double-win!
- Take shorter showers: Around 18% of energy in the average home is used on heating water – reduce your impact by taking the 4 minute shower challenge.
- Get a jumper or blanket before you turn the heating on. An extra layer will add a whopping 3 degrees of warmth to your body, keeping you warm while saving energy.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Use a Carbon Calculator to work out where you can improve!
We have over 200 charity and non-profit partners who offer quality volunteering opportunities all year round.
Give volunteering a go: sign yourself up to volunteer with one of our Partner organizations.Click Here
There are a number of opportunities on the NUS website