Want to be strong and athletic while looking good? Look no further and seek out the Barbell Club! We are a close-knit group of like-minded men and women seeking to push our physical and mental limits in either of two weight lifting disciplines: Olympic weightlifting and Powerlifting.
Olympic Weightlifting is an Olympic sport in which the athlete attempts two types of maximal single explosive lifts (the clean & jerk, and the snatch). Weightlifters primarily seek to hone the technique of these competition lifts along with improving flexibility, balance, agility and lower body strength.
Powerlifting is a sport aiming to maximally lift weights on the squat, bench press and deadlift. Powerlifters typically adopt an all rounded whole body strength training programme.
Whether you are interested in Olympic weightlifting or Powerlifting, Queen Mary and Barts and the London’s strongest society welcomes all regardless of age, experience level and gender. We will provide you with all the equipment, coaching and competition experience you need to fuel your passion!
- Training: Tuesday 7-9pm and Saturdays 10-2pm @ Qmotion Performance studio
Note: due to limited capacity of the training sessions please contact Mark Morrison before turning up (email@example.com).
- Training times: 7pm-9pm on Thursdays and Saturdays 10-2pm @ Qmotion Performance studio
****A Qmotion membership is required to access the facility for any training sessions**
If you would like to learn Olympic weightlifting contact Mark Morrison firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to a fitness trainer at Qmotion for a one-to-one taster session.
Olympic weightlifting training sessions are primarily for students wanting to represent the club at London and British University Weightlifting competitions.
Equipment: No equipment needed initially
Commitment levels required: Trainings at least three times weekly and participation in a competition at least once a year.
The BWL London and South East Series takes place tri-monthly culminating in the London and South East Championships throughout the year.
Our biggest event for the year is the BWL British University & College Championships, where we compete against weightlifters from other universities.
Powerlifters can compete in multiple competitions including:
- Qmotion powerlifting competition
- British Powerlifting regional powerlifting competitions for Greater London in Bethnal Green (occurring throughout the year).
- British Nationals (dependant on obtaining a qualifying total)
- British University Powerlifting Championships in March
- World University Powerlifting Championships (if the club qualifies at British University competition. The club was present at the 2017 event in South Africa.
How to get involved
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.