Hello and Welcome to BL Squash!
Barts and the London Squash CLub is a really friendly bunch of passionate squash players. We have training throughout term times and social events every week which will allow you to improve your squash abilities and overall fitness whilst making some great friends along the way. The club has a wide range of abilities starting from those who've never playe before all the way to life-long players, so don't worry about your previous squash experience, we will have something for you!
We meet every Wednesday afternoon at Finsbury Leisure Centre in Old Street for 2 hours to play some good old squash! The sessions run from 2pm to 4pm and have something to offer for every type of squash player:
- There will be coaching available on the second and fourth Wednesday of every month for competitve/team players or for those who are interested in improving their game: our excellent coach has played Pro-Circuit Squash for 20 years and has years of coaching under his belt
- There are social sessions on the first and third Wednesday of every month which are more relaxed and for social squash games
- We run an Internal League with QM squash which members can sign up to on PlayPass (https://playpass.com/barts-and-the-london-squash-club) if you want to take part in a little friendly intra-university competition
- The league is a double elimination league and fixtures take place on Wednesday afternoons within the usual sessions
If you are interested in competing within external leagues you can join one of our sqaush teams! We have three competitive Men's squash teams (1st, 2nd and 3rd team) and a competitive BL-QM squash Woman's team. There are lots of opportunities to support and join these teams and play against other London Universities whilst representing Barts and the London Squash.
If you’d like to give squash a go, try any one of our Wednesday sessions or contact us on Facebook or Instagram at BLSquash. We look forward to meeting you on the courts!
Date: 25/09/19 and 02/10/19
We run two taster sessions during Freshers whihc are free for anyone to attend so that you can come and get a feel for our club. The club has a back up supply of racquets for those new to the sport; however please bring a raquet with you if you own one.
Teams will be selected based on performance. If you are selected, you should attend weekly team training and fitness. If you are chosen by your respective Captain, you will be included in competitive games. If you are not selected to play as part of a team or if you are not interested in competitive squash you can social squash with coaching alongside the vast majority of the club. We aim to include as many members as possible in competitive squash and we can offer anyone who wants to the chance to play for their univeristy in one of our 3 competitive teams or the women-only teams.
- Day: Wednesday
- Time: 2-4pm
- Venue: Finsbury Leisure Center, Old Street (GLL). This venue is 20 minutes by train from Floyer House or a 5 minute walk from Dawson halls. Easy to get to via either Barbican or Old Street underground stations.
- Date of First Session: TBC
- Other Information: We have racquets and balls available for those without their own. All you need to do is turn up and play!
Commitment levels required:
All teams: Matches, fitness and team training.
Rest of club: Social squash and social events.
Here at BL Squash, we have a great range of social events. We attend every weekly tables in the Griff Inn and Final Whistle each month. We also always have a brilliant Christmas Dinner at the end of the first term and the Finalists Dinner at the end of the second term.
Alongside this, we run two tours every year, Domestic and International. These have been a great success in previous years because of their low price but hihg fun environment,
LUSL, LUSL Cup, UH Cup and possibly the Birmingham: NAMS SQUASH tournament 2019 and Roehampton Club Squash University Cup 2019 if we're invited.
Competition times: Monday 19:00-22:00 Home and Away (London only)
QM Squash League Ladder
How to get involved
1. Join the Facebook group and get in contact with the club committee members.
2. For Freshers, come along to the FREE taster sessions and have fun!
3. Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
4. Enjoy! Attend the training sessions and take part in matches.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
We have a very distinctive Squash kit which it would be great if you want to buy, but this is in no way essential to play with us.
President: Samuel Rajesh
Vice President: Oscar Fellows