Cheerleading at University is a great way to meet people and get fit. There is definitely something for everyone whether it is full cheer, group stunt, partner stunt, dance, or tumbling (gymnastics). Cheerleading involves tumbling, dancing and stunting (lifting and throwing people above your head!) and is an exciting, athletic and fast reflex sport. At cheer we compete against other teams (not cheering for other sports teams). check out our showreel for what we do!
Our taster sessions are aimed at being as inclusive as possible. We will introduce you to the basics of cheerleading and have you actively performing some skills to get a feel for the sport.
You will need (and you’ll probably want) to wear comfortable and athletic clothes to our taster sessions.
We don’t hold tryouts: all committed athletes, regardless of skill level, are allowed to compete on one or more of our teams.
Future Cheer University Nationals, Legacy Regionals and Nationals, British Cheerleading Association Nationals and University Nationals, International Cheerleading Coalition University Nationals.
This summer our Elite Team travelled to Prague to compete in the European Championships.
QMSU also offers Get Active Cheerleading sessions for just £2.30 per session and open to all abilities. It's a fun, social, turn up and play programme, visit the Get Active site for more information.
How to get involved
1. Join the Facebook group and get in contact with the club committee members.
2. Attend the taster session - this first session is free!
3. Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
4. Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete in the matches.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President: Sam Woodyatt (firstname.lastname@example.org) Responsible for ensuring the club runs smoothly and succeeds in all possible areas.
Elite Captain - Emilie Dobler. Captain of our Elite team, who currently compete at the highest level of any university team in the UK. This year, QMA Reign won a bid to the European Championships in Prague to represent England. They came 2nd out of 17 teams and returned home victorious and eager for the new season.
Advanced Captain - Lyndsey McJarrow. Captain of our Advanced team, who have competed at Level 3 for the past two years. This year’s advanced team, Dynasty, won Grand Champions at BCA Nationals in April for being the highest scoring team through the day.
- Polina Pogudina. Our Fresher captain for this year, Polina will captain and coach our All-Girl team. She will also be leading our Get Active sessions, which are for both competing members of the team and for absolutely anybody who wants to try cheerleading throughout the year.
Follow us on Social Media
Watch our 2017 Europeans routine here