Welcome to Queen Mary Angels! We are a competitive cheerleading club made up of students from both Barts and Queen Mary. Cheerleading at University is a great way to meet people and get fit, as well as discovering your passion for a new sport. There is something for everyone, as cheerleading involves tumbling (gymnastics), dancing, jumps, and stunting (lifting and throwing people above your head!). It is an exciting, athletic, and fast reflex sport. Cheerleading teams compete directly against each other, (not cheering for other sports teams!). Check out our showreel for what we do!
Our taster sessions are aimed at being as inclusive as possible. We will introduce you to the basics of cheerleading and have you actively performing some skills to get a feel for the sport.
You will need to wear comfortable and athletic clothes to our taster sessions.
We don’t hold tryouts: all committed athletes, regardless of skill level, are allowed to compete on one or more of our teams.
Future Cheer University Nationals, Legacy Regionals and Nationals, British Cheerleading Association Nationals and University Nationals, International Cheerleading Coalition University Nationals.
For the past two years, our Elite Team has competed in the European Championships.
QMSU also offers Get Active Cheerleading sessions for just £2.50 per session and open to all abilities. It's a fun, social, turn up and play programme, visit the Get Active site for more information.
How to get involved
1. Join the Facebook group and get in contact with the club committee members.
2. Attend the taster session - this first session is free!
3. Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
4. Enjoy! Take part in the training sessions, and compete in competitions.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President: Martina Olivieri (firstname.lastname@example.org) Responsible for ensuring the club runs smoothly and succeeds in all possible areas.
Advanced/Elite Captain - Sam Woodyatt. Captain of our Advanced and Elite teams, who have competed at Level 3/Level 5 respectively for the past two years. Last year’s advanced team, Aurora, won Grand Champions at BCA Nationals in March for being the highest scoring team through the day. Last year's Elite team competed at the highest level of any university cheer team in the UK.
- Vicki May Churchill. Our Fresher captain for this year, Vicki will captain and coach our Fresher team. She will also be helping to lead our Get Active sessions, which are for both competing members of the team and for absolutely anybody who wants to try cheerleading throughout the year.
Follow us on Social Media
Watch our 2017 Europeans routine here