Fencing is an ancient combat sport derived from traditional swordfighting. It is one of the oldest Olympic sports, and requires a mix of speed, strength and strategy.
Fencing is a fun sport that is a unique way of keeping fit and developing hand eye coordination, balance and core strength.
QMBL Fencing offers a fun environment that caters for all abilities from complete beginners to national level fencers. We have two coaches from one of the top London clubs.
For competitive fencers we offer weekly men’s and women’s BUCS teams and we attend the national individual championships every year.
Equipment: We provide all of the fencing equipment. All you need is a pair of tracksuit bottoms, a t-shirt and trainers. Please do not wear shorts!
Commitment levels required:
From team – training every week and attendance at all BUCS matches.
From non-team – attendance for beginners on Get Active course (10 weeks) is a must to avoid repetition and to build skills.
BUCS, BUCS Individuals, the QMBL Novice Cup, London International University Fencing Competition, London Regional Intermediate and Novice.
- BUCS Individuals in February
- QMBL National Novice in March/April
- LIUF in June
- London Regional in January and July
QMSU also runs an Introductory Fencing course for those looking to learn. It's a 10 week course led by an expert coach and costs just £25 so is a really fun and affordable way to get involved. Sabre:Lite is also a Get Active weekly session which is a simplified version of Fencing and is a great introduction to the sport. Visit the Get Active site for more information.
How do new members join?
- Join the Facebook group and get in contact with the club committee members.
- Attend the taster session - this first session is free!
- Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President: Christopher Widdows (email@example.com)