Jiu Jitsu is a martial art that originated and developed in medieval Japan. It is a grappling art making use of throws, joint locks and strikes to subdue an aggressor, a great way to learn some self-defence, get fit or just to learn something a little bit different. Most of the skills begin by using an aggressor’s energy to their own disadvantage meaning Jiu Jitsu skills can be used by men, women and children of all ages. Jiu Jitsu can be used to counter aggressive situations ranging from physical harassment to armed assault. We aim to maintain an open and friendly club training environment catering to all ability levels.
Queen Mary Jiu-Jitsu Club is part of The Jiu Jitsu Foundation (TJJF), the largest single-style Jiu Jitsu organisation in Britain.
Trial/Taster Session: Students can trial on their first session throughout the year. Sessions are:
Monday: 8pm-10pm, Qmotion sports hall
Wednesday: 8pm-10pm, Qmotion Active Studio
Bring comfortable gym clothes. After purchasing a membership for two or three terms, you’ll get training gi from the club.
Atemi Nationals and Randori Nationals (annual TJJF competitions) and ad hoc inter-club university competitions (to improve inter-club relations and support wider training opportunities between TJJF-affiliated clubs).
How to get Involved
- Like the Facebook page and get in contact with the club committee members.
- Attend the taster session - this first session is free!
- Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete in the matches.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President - Cristian Mina
Tresurer - Sebastian Carvajal