We are an outgoing & sociable Club that welcomes all levels and ages of Swimmer. The Club offers 3 pool training sessions and one gym based session a week, which are all fully coached. Our pool training takes place in the 25 metre pool at Mile End Leisure Centre and on the turf of champions in the 50 metre Competition pool at the London Aquatics Centre.
We have 3 squads split into swimming ability:
- Serious competitor - must be able to swim all 4 strokes - even if it means 25 metres of a very ropey looking fly
- Fitness/ long distance - must be able to swim front crawl confidently - no fancy flip turns required
- Developing Swimmer - must be able to swim 100 metres of front crawl in a 25 metre pool - no feet to touch the bottom of the pool BUT taking a short break at the end of each 25 metres is allowed.
All QMBL Swimmers are given the opportunity to train for and compete in our friendly League Galas based in London regardless of squad level. For the more competitive and able Swimmer, we also compete at 3 major British University Championships (BUCS): Team Short-Course (Southern Regionals); Individual Short-Course (Sheffield); Individual Long-Course (Sheffield).
One of the highlights in our Club Calendar is taking part in the Swimathon for Sports Relief - an event which appeals more to our Fitness and Development swimmers and can be swum as part of a Team or as Individual. Last year our swimmers achieved distances of 2.5k - 5k individually in times less than 1.5 hours.
The Club benefits from having 2 coaches on deck who bring their vast experience and enjoyment of swimming to each session. They will both give you ample instruction and motivate you to improve no matter your level or experience.
- Our Head Coach has swam since the age of 3 and still competes for the UK’s leading Masters Swimming Club: main events 50m Freestyler/ 50m Backstroke and loves a bit of Fly: a sprinter first and foremost.
- Our Lead Coach for the Competition Squad swam nationally as a mid-distance freestyler/flyer and nowadays enjoys a lot of open water: the wetsuit still makes him fast - and it also provides yet another excuse for not having to do any more breaststroke or backstroke.
Whether you swam at national level or just for fun as a young child and, as long as you are a QMBL student or employee, we can offer you training to match your ability and offer you encouragement to aim even higher!
We look forward to meeting you at our Taster Session on Sunday 2 October where you can to find out more about us and have chance to meet our coaches to discuss all things swimming.
Attend a training session to decide if you want to join the club, the first one is free.
Bring: Towel, goggles, swim cap, flip flops, bottle of water, snacks.
Equipment: Useful but not essential training aids include a kickboard, pull buoy, paddles and fins.
Commitment levels: The Club does understand that its members have other commitments and though it does recommend all Swimmers attend as many training sessions as possible, attendance is not compulsory.
If you are looking to improve your swimming fitness and technique and like the idea of competing in a few friendly Galas then we do recommend attending as many of the training sessions as you can. It is better to commit to attending one session a week than miss several weeks of training and then do 3 sessions in one week and then drop off again.
The coaches do ask that those selected for the BUCS Championships attend all training sessions and that notice or valid reason be given for non-attendance.
Please do discuss your commitment and goals with our coaches, who can best advise on training.
4x British University Championships (BUCS):
- Team Short-Course, Southern Regionals - 1 day gala (sprints only) - location TBC
- Team Short-Course Finals - 1 day gala (sprints only) - Sheffield
- Individual Short-Course - 3 day gala (full gala) - Sheffield
- Individual Long-Course - 3 day gala (full gala) - Sheffield
4 x London League Galas
- friendly short-course Galas with London based Universities
- Ideal Galas for those new to competing or for getting race ready for BUCS
- Sprint distance only
- The world’s biggest fundraising swim, Swimathon offers a challenge for all abilities and every ambition.
- Distances from 1.5k - 5k - swum as a Team or Individual
- Team Short-Course, Southern Regionals - last weekend in November
- Team Short-Course Finals - last weekend in April
- Individual Short-Course - usually held 2 weeks before team event in November
- Individual Long-Course - last weekend in February
NB these dates are subject to change
4 x London League Galas - these are usually held on a Saturday afternoon once a month at Imperial College from December.
The club holds a range of social events throughout the academic year; this includes going to the monthly Hail Mary events, to more relaxed socials such as pancake night and Netflix and chill evenings. There is something for everyone.
QMSU also offers Get Active Swimming at Mile End Leisure Centre and London Aquatic Centre. Get Active Anytime allows you to attend any public swim session for just £1, just collect your voucher from Qmotion reception. There are also This Girl Can Swimming sessions which are a female-only environment. Visit the Get Active site for more information.
How to get Involved
- Like the Facebook page and get in contact with the club committee members.
- Attend the taster session - this first session is free!
- Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete in the matches.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President - Ella Gaffuri (Ella.email@example.com)