Application deadline: Sun 22 Sep 2019 23:59
Make a difference in the local community by supporting the provision of sport and physical activity opportunities with local schools, sport clubs and housing associations. Through our award-winning sport leadership and workforce development programme, QMSU Community Sport, you’ll play a leading role in the development of our students with training and funded sport qualifications.
This role will support the Community Sport Coordinator to grow and develop the programme by engaging a wider demographic of the QMUL student population, enhancing the student experience, supporting the development of partnerships, effective marking & promotion and ensuring best practice across all sub-programmes such as the Social Cohesion Sport Programme and QMSU Sports Camp.
Main duties and responsibilities of the role
- Act as an advocate of the Community Sport programme at all times and support the Community Sport Coordinator with the general growth and development of the programme.
- Ensure high levels of student satisfaction by dealing with any general enquiries in a timely manner or passing issues on to the Community Sport Coordinator.
- Carry out administrative duties within an office setting including but not limited to data collection, report making and responding to enquiries.
- Plan and deliver sport sessions with a specific lead on inclusive sport sessions for participants with disabilities. Practical delivery will include leading taster sessions and covering the occasional session for student leaders.
- Oversee the successful delivery of the QMSU Sports Camp by providing support to lead and volunteer coaches.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism in all areas of work. This includes conduct when working within the office and when delivering sessions. You must ensure that you are dressed appropriately to undertake any practical delivery.
- Produce fun and challenging session plans that are appropriate for the programme’s target participant groups. These will form a part of the coaching packs made accessible to student leaders via the Community Sport webpages.
- Support the Community Sport Coordinator with the observation and assessment of student leaders at sessions, festivals and tournaments.
- Support the Community Sport Coordinator with the formation, development and review of working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Use time efficiently and effectively to ensure that workload is managed within designated working hours.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Community Sport Coordinator as well as occasional meetings with other members of staff.
- Identify and actively overcome barriers to participation using innovative approaches to ensure that opportunities are inclusive for both students and participants.
- Ensure that you attend any relevant workshops, networking events or training courses organised and funded by Community Sport. This may include but is not limited to basic child safeguarding, emergency first aid and a nationally accredited coaching/leadership qualification.
- Assist in marketing and promoting the Community Sport programme, Social Cohesion Sport Programme and QMSU Sport Camps. This includes active use of the QMSU Sport social media accounts, attendance at university open days/fairs and campus stalls/pop-ups.
- Reporting all accidents and injuries to the Community Sport Coordinator as soon as possible. You must provide details on the time, date, location, person(s) involved etc.
- Have a flexible approach to duties and work. This may involve undertaking duties in support of the activities of other departments.
- Follow Student Union policies, committing to a safe environment for people to work in with staff conducting themselves professionally ensuring that both colleagues and students are made to feel comfortable and free from intimidation.
- Ensure the wellbeing and safety of participants engaging with Community Sport opportunities.
- Ensure you are aware of the QMSU Safeguarding Policy and take responsibility for reporting any safeguarding concerns to the Community Sport Coordinator and QMSU Nominated Safeguarding Children Adviser.
- To have a full understanding of the Standard Operating Procedure for the venue in which you are working and the understanding of any Emergency Procedures that may exist.
- To carry out responsibilities with regard to the Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety policies.
- Any other duties as may be reasonably expected by the Community Sport Coordinator.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org