Social Media Links
Facebook | Instagram
My name is Karolina Wieczorek and I am a second-year medical student going into the third year. I'm applying for the role of the Societies Officer at Barts.
This year I got involved in 7 different society committees and I have enjoyed my roles greatly. This year I have held the positions in the following societies:
- Anatomical Society (Education Lead) - running revision sessions for students,
- Barts Academic Research Society (Publicity and Design) - social media management and creative design,
- Paediatrics (Events Manager) - organizing events and the annual conference,
- MedTech (Academic Officer and Events Leads) - managing online events,
- Surgical Society (Conference) - graphic design and software management,
- Circadian Magazine (Podcast BLWave) - chief editor,
- CUB Magazine QM (Designer) - graphic design and print.
Working online has been challenging, but I have learned the structure and organisation of how societies work. I recognize the areas that have been challenging with the management of societies online and would like to address those.
I am proficient in graphic design as this year I ran many social media profiles and designed university magazines. I also started Barts Podcast BLWave, which taught me about project management. I have organized festivals and events up to 400 people (including European Association for Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology Conference, numerous Model United Nations Conferences) and also worked with organisers of 4 online international conferences this year, therefore I am familiar with the social and technical requirements of online events.
I would like to improve the accessibility of all events (online) by creating groups and continuing the bulletins where societies can promote their events. I believe that by being a member of a wide range of societies I can identify areas that need additional funding, where most events are held virtually. I can recognize the technical support that groups need and would like to improve access to platforms that make it easier for students to hold events on a large scale!