We've put together some information to help you navigate the world of student funding, money and budgeting.

Money Advice

Managing your financial situation can be challenging, especially when you find yourself managing a budget for the first time. Below is some information put together by the University’s Advice and Counselling Service that we hope will help you navigate the world of student funding, money and budgeting.

To see what loans and funding options are available from your Students' Union, click the button below:

See funding options
Queen Mary University of London Advice and Counselling Service

The Advice and Counselling Service provides confidential, professional counselling support and advice for emotional, psychological, financial and student welfare issues. If you require specific support or guidance about any money and budgeting issue, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service for an appointment.

Click here

Learning to budget and manage the money you have is an important part of student life. The Advice and Counselling Service provides information and advice on planning a budget, managing your budget, and how to control your spending.

Click here

If you are an undergraduate student who started studying from September 2016 onwards, you can learn all about undergraduate funding in this guide. If you are looking for advice on a particular issue or topic, please have a look at the links below. If you can’t find what you are looking for or you need specialist advice, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service for an appointment.

Student Finance delays

If your Student Finance payment has been delayed, you can find out here how to check whether you have submitted all of the correct information to Student Finance and if necessary, how to submit a complaint under the Complaints procedure.

Click here

Additional sources of funding/financial hardship

If you are dealing with financial hardship and looking for any additional sources of funding whilst you are studying, this guide may help. You can find information about University Financial Assistance Funds, short-term and emergency loans offered by the University, part-time work and welfare benefits.

Click here

Tuition Fees

It’s important to get your head around Tuition Fees. If you’re unsure, have a look at this guide put together by the University.

Click here

If you’re studying at postgraduate level or considering it after you finish your undergraduate degree, have a read through the University’s pages on postgraduate funding.

Click here

If you are studying Medicine or Dentistry, the Advice and Counselling Service have put together a guide to funding specific to the course you are studying.

Click here

The University is committed to supporting those who are, or have been, in the care of a Local Authority to achieve their potential and succeed at university. The University has a dedicated scheme to support care experienced students, which includes having a named member of staff as your key contact. You can find information on topics such as funding and accommodation on the Advice and Counselling Service website.

Click here

If you no longer have a relationship with your parent(s), for example you don’t see them or communicate with them, this is referred to as ‘estrangement’. If you have very occasional communication, you might still be able to be considered estranged. You can find information about the support available to estranged students on the Advice and Counselling Service website, covering topics such as funding, accommodation and careers.

Click here

The University is committed to providing support for students who have been granted refugee status. You can find more information about the support and guidance offered here.

Click here

YGAM Student Hub, is a page to help you find out more about gaming and gambling and the support available to you if you’re worried about yourself or someone else.

YGAM also provide free training to university staff and students. Enquiries should be made via the Expression of Interest form.

Support and Treatment:

  • GamCare is the leading UK provider of free information, advice, and support for anyone affected by gambling harms.
  • The National Gambling Helpline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call them on 0808 8020 133.
  • NHS Gambling Service provides specialist addiction therapy and recovery to people affected by gambling addiction, as well as those with mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, trauma, and suicidal feelings.

Self Exclusion:


GAMSTOP is a software that enables you to block yourself from all UK licensed gambling sites for a period of your choosing and is completely free.

Watch video

Gamban allows you to block access to online gambling on all your devices


RECOVERME is an app (free for the first year) that helps users manage their gambling addiction through various strategies and cognitive behavioural therapies.

Recent News

Currently no news

Contact Us

Student Voice

Contact the Student Voice team at your Students’ Union with any questions you may have.