Get advice on health and wellbeing, here we direct you to Queen Mary services as well as other specialist agencies who can provide you with help and more detailed information.

Health & Wellbeing

Mental Health & Wellbeing

If you are struggling with your mental health, it’s important to remember that you are not alone. Many students who come to University have mental health conditions or start to experience difficulties during their studies. It is estimated that 1 in 4 students experience a mental health problem during their time at university. If you feel you need support or you want to support a friend or flatmate, there are a number of organisations that can help.

If you or another person have been harmed or are at immediate risk, call 999 for an ambulance. If you do not require an ambulance but need help urgently, you can go to your nearest A&E department.

If you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do, you can call the NHS helpline on 111.

Mental Health Crisis Line - East London

A mental health crisis line to support people living and working in East London. The mental health crisis line is available 24 hours a day and callers will be given support and advice from mental health professionals.

Tower Hamlets - 020 7771 5807
Bedfordshire - 01234 315691
City & Hackney - 020 8432 8020
Luton - 01582 538631
Newham - 020 7771 5888

Advice and Counselling Service

Confidential, professional counselling support and advice for emotional, psychological, financial and student welfare issues.

Click here
Disability and Dyslexia Service (DDS)

Support for students with disabilities, specific learning differences and mental health issues. They offer advice and guidance on areas such as examination arrangements and provide one to one tuition and support workers.

Click here
GP / Student Health Service

The Student Health Service is available to all students living in QMUL accommodation at the Mile End or Whitechapel campuses or who live in the borough of Tower Hamlets (E1, E2, E3 and E14). It is located on the ground floor of the Geography Building on the Mile End campus.

If you do not live locally and would like to register with a GP where you live, you can search for a GP surgery on the NHS website using your postcode. GP surgeries will normally register all international students. You can find information about how to access healthcare as a UK, international or EU/EEA student here.

Click here Find a GP
Student Support in your School

Each School or Institute has a dedicated student support contact who can offer advice on matters you feel may be impeding your ability to study. They can advise you on issues such as extenuating circumstances or examination arrangements. A list of contacts for each School or Institute can be found at the link below.

Click here
Students’ Union Academic Advice Service

The Students’ Union provides confidential advice and advocacy support on a range of academic issues including extenuating circumstances, appeals, academic misconduct investigations, disciplinary hearings and complaints. The service is confidential, non-judgemental and free and is open to all current students. It is independent from Queen Mary University of London, meaning issues discussed with the service will not appear on your University record without your consent.

Click here

There are many external charities and organisations that can offer support, information and guidance about mental health conditions. Some of these provide support for mental health generally, while others focus more on a specific area. Click on the links for more information.


Provides advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.

0300 123 3393 or text 86463

Click here

National mental health charity that works to help everyone affected by severe mental illness gain a better quality of life.

0300 5000 927

Click here

Established to improve the quality of life for people affected by mental illness. SANELINE is a national, 7 days a week, out-of-hours telephone helpline for anyone coping with mental illness, including concerned friends or relatives.

0300 3047 000

Click here
Step Forward

Local charity that offers free and confidential services (sexual health, counselling, LGBT+ support group, personal development and family support service) to young people aged up to 25 years old living in and around Tower Hamlets.

020 7739 3082

Click here
Anxiety UK

Working to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders.

0844 4775 774

Click here
No Panic

Support for people (and their carers) suffering from anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and other related anxiety disorders.

0844 967 4848

Click here
BiPolar UK

User-led charity working to enable people affected by bipolar disorder to take control of their lives.

020 7931 6480

Click here
Students against Depression

Provides a calm environment and the resources to help you find a way forward.

Click here
Beat Eating Disorders

UK's leading charity supporting those affected by eating disorders and campaigning on their behalf.

080 8801 0811 (student helpline)

Click here

User-led organisation that provides a range of services for self-harm and suicide prevention including support, information, training and consultancy to people who self-harm, their friends and families and professionals and those at risk of suicide.

Click here

National UK charity dedicated to the prevention of young suicide. Offers confidential support and advice to young people struggling with thoughts of suicide and anyone worried about a young person.

080 0068 4141 (helpline)

Click here
Cruse Bereavement Care

Information, advice and counselling helping people to understand grief and bereavement through individual support and group work.

080 8808 1677

Click here
The Mix

Support service for young people on a huge range of issues, including mental health, money, homelessness, finding a job, relationships and alcohol/drugs. You can call their free helpline or speak to someone online or via text.

0808 808 4994

Click here

Helpline offering 24-hour confidential support for anyone who is struggling to cope or who needs someone to listen without judgement or pressure.

116 123

Click here

Confidential listening, support and practical information service for students. You can talk to them through their helpline, online, via text, email or Skype.

020 7631 0101 or text 077 1798 9900 or Skype londonnightline

Click here

Togetherall is a 24/7 online community. It contains information and advice about mental health conditions and is moderated by professional counsellors. It is completely anonymous. Access is free with a Queen Mary University of London email address.

Click here

Recent News

Currently no news

Contact Us

Representation and Democracy

Contact the Representation and Democracy team at your Students’ Union with any questions you may have.