people holding hands

Sexual Health

Sexual Health

Your sexual health is an important part of your health and wellbeing. The services linked here should help you to stay safe, healthy and understand your options. 1 in 4 students contract a sexually transmitted infection (STI) in their first year so it’s important to know how to protect yourself. Below is some information to help you make the right choices for you.

NHS guidance

This handy guide from the NHS provides all you need to know about STIs, including recognising symptoms and how to protect yourself.

Click here
Local Services

The nearest sexual health clinic to our Mile End and Whitechapel campuses is the Ambrose King Centre, located at the Royal London Hospital. They offer drop-in and pre-bookable appointments. You can find more information about the services available locally within Tower Hamlets here. You can find a map of sexual health clinics across London here.

Ambrose King Centre
The Royal London Hospital
Mount Terrace
London E1 2BB
020 7377 7306

Click here
Sexual Health London (SHL)

SHL provides free home STI testing kits by post. SHL is a discreet service for Londoners who have no symptoms or mild symptoms. Their kits are delivered in plain packaging and are free to return by post. If you have symptoms you should contact your local sexual health clinic.

Click here
On-campus testing

Queen Mary Students’ Union runs regular STI testing sessions on campus in collaboration with the charity Positive East. You can find a list of upcoming sessions on our events page.

Click here

If you are looking for HIV support, advice and treatment, Positive East are a good local service to speak to. They offer HIV Fast Testing and STI testing and are located on Mile End Road, near our Mile End and Whitechapel campuses.

Postive East
159 Mile End Road
London E1 4AQ
020 7791 2855

Click here

If you are part of an at-risk group for HIV, you might be entitled to PrEP, which is a drug that helps prevent the transmission of HIV. Contact your GP for more information on its availability.

If you think you have been exposed to HIV, contact Newham University Hospital as soon as possible on 020 7363 8146. PEP is a drug available that helps prevent the transmission of HIV post-exposure.

Making the right choices for you is important when it comes to contraception. This handy guide from the NHS provides you with some useful information about different types of contraception and how you can access them.

Click here
Queen Mary University of London

Queen Mary University of London has put together a page of information for students who are parents or are about to become one. It explains what financial help you might be eligible for and provides guidance on academic processes, budgeting and childcare.

Financial advice Students with children

Brook provide free confidential advice and information on pregnancy, abortions and having a baby via their website, their centres and their helpline on 0808 802 1234.

Click here
Marie Stopes

Marie Stopes are a leading provider of abortion services. They have many clinics across London and nationwide and have a 24-hour helpline which provides unplanned pregnancy counselling, abortion information and advice on 0345 300 8090.

Click here
The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS)

The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) are a provider of abortion care. They can support you to make a decision that is right for you and have many clinics across London and nationwide.

Click here

Experiencing a form of sexual violence such as rape, sexual assault, harassment, domestic abuse or stalking can be incredibly traumatic, however there are many support services that can help you. While some people wish to access support right away, others may not do so for weeks, months or years. How and when you access support is completely up to you.

We have put together a comprehensive list of support services which you can find here.

Click here

Recent News

Currently no news

Contact Us

Student Voice

Contact the Student Voice team at your Students’ Union with any questions you may have.