We want you to feel safe when you’re on campus and travelling to and from University. If you ever feel unsafe or think something is inappropriate, you should contact campus security (if on campus) or the Police and try and get yourself to a safe place.

Queen Mary Advice and Counselling Service has written up a helpful guide to personal safety when living and studying in London. Here are some tips for keeping yourself safe:

  • Take your headphones out when starting or beginning a journey to be more aware of your surroundings
  • Stick to well-lit major roads and avoid poorly lit short cuts
  • Before leaving late at night, message a friend or group chat letting them know that you are travelling and when you expect to be home
  • Keep your valuables in your bag and try to avoid walking along holding your phone
The Police

In an emergency, dial 999.

If it is not an emergency, contact the Police on 101, or visit your local Police station.

You can also contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) to report concerning behaviour. These are a team of Police Officers and Community Support Officers based in your local area. If they are on available, the team will respond. If they are not on duty at the time, you can leave a voicemail and they will respond when they are on duty. In an emergency always dial 999. You can find details for SNTs within Tower Hamlets here.

Click here
Security Services at Queen Mary University of London

In case of emergency call 020 7882 3333

Click here
Support if you’ve experienced a crime
Victim Support

Provides information, practical help and emotional support to people who have experienced a crime. You do not have to have reported a crime to use this service.

080 8168 9111

Click here

If you have experienced any form of sexual violence, harassment, bullying, hate crime or discrimination, there are lots of places you can access confidential support.

Experiencing a form of sexual violence such as rape, domestic abuse, sexual assault or harassment, or another form of violence, can be incredibly traumatic, however there are many support services that can help you. While some people wish to access support right away, others may not do so for weeks, months or years. How and when you access support is completely up to you.

Support services

We have created a comprehensive list of support services for different forms of violence as part of our Zero Tolerance campaign. You can also find information about reporting and learn more about the work we are doing in the University and beyond to challenge all forms of sexual violence, harassment, bullying and hate crime.

You can also find a comprehensive list of support services available nationally, locally and within Queen Mary, by visiting the University's Report and Support reporting platform. The website allows you to report an incident and includes details of a wide range of support services, including the option to request support at Queen Mary.

Recent News

Currently no news

Contact Us

Student Voice

Contact the Student Voice team at your Students’ Union with any questions you may have.