Welcome to Barts and The London Men's Hockey Club - the closest and friendliest club at Barts. With regular training sessions and matches held at the London 2012 Olympic Grounds, weekly social events at The Griff Inn Student's Union, and many special events throughout the year, this is a club for everybody - whether your talents be on the pitch or in the Griff, we look forward to meeting you.
With a 1st and 2nd team, we welcome persons of all abilities. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned professional, come along and find the perfect place for you in the club. Both teams train together from Mondays at 17:45-19:15, supported by our fantastic coach, Jason. Wednesday afternoons are protected sports time (that means no teaching, just hockey!) during which we play BUCS matches.. On Sundays we take part in LUSL matches, a less-competitive league providing more opportunities for beginners and those looking to improve their skills.
With a wide variety of social opportunities (alcohol-free events) offerered alongside the on-pitch hockey, there is something for everyone! Every Wednesday evening we head to The Griff Inn - Barts' wonderful Student's Union bar - for Tables: a celebration of our sporting success along with the other sports teams at Barts (providing the perfect opportunity to socialise and meet people from other clubs). Additionally, we also have several special events, including Christmas Dinner, Party Bus, and Pub Golf to name just a few, so we know you will have a fantastic time!
There's plenty of additional information below, but if you have any questions at all feel free to get in touch with any of the committee members listed at the bottom of this page.
We look forward to seeing you in September!
This year's Freshers' Fayre is on Wednesday 21st September, where you will be able to meet with committee, get a feel for the club, and ask any questions you may have. That evening the club will be heading to the World-famous Brick Lane for Fresher's Curry to welcome our newest members to the club and provide you with an opportunity to get to know some of our current members.
Shortly after (usually the following Wednesday - but we will be able to confirm this at the Freshers' Fayre) we will hold our Taster Session. This light-hearted introduction to hockey is not to be missed, as we will be introducing you to the club, gaining an understanding of what you would like to get from being a club member, and providing an opportunity to get some stick-on-ball action. Even if you've never played hockey before we are able to provide all of the equipment necessary (just bring yourself and some appropriate clothing) so we are all looking forward to meeting you!
The session will be held at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre (E20 3AD) - the site of Olympic hockey during the London 2012 Olympic Games, just a short walk from Leyton Station on the Central Line.
Training sessions are held every Monday, 17:45-19:15 at Lee Valley Hockey Centre
- Approprate sports clothing and astros/trainers
- Mouthguards and shin pads are ideal, but not essential (you can always make sure this is the club for you, before making any firm commitments).
- Hockey sticks are provided if you don't have your own
Commitment levels required:
- 1st XI: for commited members as we will be fighting to win the league this season. Previous hockey experience will be necessary to walk straight into the team, but several incredibly talented and dedicated players in the squad had not picked up a hockey stick before joining the club.
- 2nd XI: a competitive but more relaxed setting that serves as the perfect situation for anyone looking for slightly lesser commitment, or as a stepping-stone in the first XI.
- We recognise the academic commitment required at Barts, and we will never expect hockey to take priority over personal studies (although you may find hockey to be a fantastic outlet and method of de-stressing). Furthermore, some of the most valuable revision resources come courtesy of older students who were in your position not too long ago.
- Our first team compete in BUCS South East Division 3 and will be challenging for the league title, achieving a second place finish in each of the last three seasons. BUCS matches take place on Wednesday afternoons during protected sports time, meaning you should never have a commitment stopping you from playing games.
- Our second team serves as a development squad, competing in LUSL (competitive division) - a league aimed at player development, whether that be introducing players to the sport or helping them develop their skills. LUSL matches take place on Sundays, usually starting anywhere between 13:00-17:00.
- BUCS and LUSL also have knockout cups that run alongside the regular league.
- Barts and The London also compete in the famous United Hospitals (UH) Cup, a competition containing the other 4 London medical schools.
The season runs from late September to late March. All home matches are played at Lee Valley, and away games are usually played within London (accessible via TFL).
The first social of the year will be Freshers' Curry on the evening of Wednesday 22st September (after the Freshers' Fayre) where we will meet you at the Whitechapel Campus before taking a stroll down to the World-famous Brick Lane and one of its many curry houses. Further details will beavaliable at the Freshers' Fayre.
Every Wednesday evening the club holds a weekly Tables at the Griff Inn Students' Union Bar to celebrate the week's sporting successin not just of Men's Hockey, but of all the sports teams at Barts. This is a fantastic opportunity to have an awfu lot of fun, and to meet people from other clubs and year groups.
Throughout the year we hold many exciting social events, often involving other sports teams - frequently with our Sister Club, Women's Hockey. Examples include the wonderful Christmas Dinner, Party Bus, and Pub Golf (seen in the image below).
Twice a year the club sets off on tour - one nationally and one internationally. These are incredibly fun and and offer up many memorable experiences!
How to get involved
1. Like our Facebook page and Visit our Instagram page to keep up to date with everything going on at BLMHC. Join our Facebook group to get in contact with the committee and to interact with all of our great members.
2. See us at Fresher's Fayre and look out for details of our Taster Sessions in the first weeks of the year. However, if you miss those, you are more than welcome to come down to any of our Monday training sessions.
3. Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
4. Enjoy! Attend the training sessions and take part in the matches. Enjoy our social events and mix with our friendly, welcoming club members.
If you are an experienced hockey player please feel free to get in touch with the Club President and/or the 1st XI captain for information regarding preseason training.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, and a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is sea Club Sport subb Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- A review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
In addition to this pre-season fitness sessions are put on by our excellent team captains.
Committee Contact Details
- President: Ali Rookes (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Edward Summers (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 1st XI Captain: Raghuv Kanwar (email@example.com)