Welcome to Barts and The London Men's Hockey Club - the closest and friendliest club at Barts. With regular training sessions and matches held at the London 2012 Olympic Grounds, weekly social events at The Griff Inn Student's Union, and many special events throughout the year, this is a club for everybody - whether your talents be on the pitch or in the Griff, we look forward to meeting you.
There's plenty of additional information below, but if you have any questions at all feel free to get in touch with any of the committee members listed at the bottom of this page.
Shortly after (usually the following Wednesday - but we will be able to confirm this at the Freshers' Fayre) we will hold our Taster Session. This light-hearted introduction to hockey is not to be missed, as we will be introducing you to the club, gaining an understanding of what you would like to get from being a club member, and providing an opportunity to get some stick-on-ball action. Even if you've never played hockey before don't be discouraged, as we are able to provide all of the equipment necessary (just bring yourself and some appropriate clothing).
Training sessions are held every Monday, 18:00-19:30 at Lee Valley Hockey Centre
- Approprate sports clothing and astros/trainers
- Hockey sticks are provided if you don't have your own
- Mouthguards and shin pads are ideal, but not essential (you can always make sure this is the club for you before making anty firm commitments).
Commitment levels required:
- 1st XI: for commited members as we will be fighting to win the league this season, following two years of finishing second. Previous hockey experience will be necessary to walk straight into the team, but several incredibly talented players in the squad had not picked up a hockey stick before joining the club.
- 2nd XI: a competitive but more relaxed setting that serves as the perfect situation for anyone looking for slightly lesser commitment, or as a stepping-stone in the first XI.
- We recognise the academic commitment required at Barts, and we will never expect hockey to take priority over your personal studies (although you may find hockey to be a fantastic outlet and method of de-stressing). Furthermore, some of the most valuable revision resources come courtesy of older students who were in your position not too long ago.
- Our first team compete in BUCS South East Division 3 and have been regular challengers for the league title, achieving a second place finish in each of the last two seasons. BUCS matches take place on Wednesday afternoons during protected sports time, meaning you should never have a commitment stopping you from playing games.
- Our second team serves as a development squad, competing in LUSL (competitive division) - a league aimed at player development, whether that be introducing players to the sport or helping them develop their skills. LUSL matches take place on Sundays, usually starting anywhere between 13:00-17:00.
- Both BUCS and LUSL also have knockout cups that run alongside the regular league.
- Barts and The London also compete in the famous United Hospitals (UH) Cup, a competition containing the other 4 London medical schools.
The season runs from late September to late March. All home matches are played at Lee Valley, and all away games are played within London and so are easily reached via TfL (with the rare exception of some cup matches).
The first social of the year will be Freshers' Curry on the evening of Wednesday 22nd September (after the Freshers' Fayre) where we will meet you at the Whitechapel Campus before taking a stroll down to the World-famous Brick Lane and one of its many curry houses. Further details of this will be avaliable at the Freshers' Fayre.
Every Wednesday evening the club holds a weekly Tables at the Griff Inn Students' Union Bar to celebrate the week's sporting success - not just of Men's Hockey, but of all the sports teams at Barts. This is a fantastic opportunity to have an awful lot of fun, and to meet people from other clubs and year groups.
Throughout the year we holds many exciting social events, often involving other sports teams - frequently our Sister Club, Women's Hockey. Examples include the wonderful Christmas Dinner, Party Bus, and Pub Golf (seen in the image below).
Twice a year the club sets off on tour - one nationally and one internationally. These are always increidbly fun and shockingly affordable, offering up experiences to be remembered forever.
How to get involved
1. Like our Facebook page and Visit our Instagram page to keep up to date with everything going on at BLMHC. Join our Facebook group to get in contact with the committee and to interact with all of our great members.
2. See us at Fresher's Fayre and look out for details of our Taster Sessions in the first weeks of the year. However, if you miss those, you are more than welcome to come down to any of our Monday training sessions.
3. Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
4. Enjoy! Attend the training sessions and take part in the matches. Enjoy our social events and mix with our friendly, welcoming club members.
If you are an experienced hockey player please feel free to get in touch with the Club President and/or the 1st XI captain for information regarding preseason training.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
In addition to this pre-season fitness sessions are put on by our wonderful team captains.
Committee Contact Details
- President: Max Paley (07814 056205 | email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Matthew Gumble (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 1st XI Captain: Ashvin Kuri (email@example.com)
- 2nd XI Captain: Amaan Abbas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social Secretary: Luke Holt (email@example.com)