We are an outgoing and sociable club that welcomes intermediate and advanced level of swimmer. The Club offers 3 to 4 pool training sessions a week. Our pool training takes place in the 25 metre pool at Mile End Leisure Centre and Poplar Baths Leisure Centre, and on the turf of champions in the 50 metre Competition pool at the London Aquatics Centre.
We all train together as one squad but ability is split up between different lanes:
MINIMUM ABILITY LEVEL REQUIRED - 200m (8 lengths) comfortably on all strokes (except butterfly)
Advanced- most people swimming in this lane have likely had some experience of competing, whether this is in local level competitions all the way through to national level, high confidence swimming all four strokes alongside an understanding of competition skills e.g. starts and turns.
Intermediate- relatively confident in more than one stroke, with high confidence in frontcrawl, looking to improve technique and learn basic competition skills.
All QMBL Swimmers are given the opportunity to train for and compete in our friendly competitions such as London League (where we compete against other universities across London) and Merger Cup (where we compete against Barts Medical School in swimming and waterpolo!)
For the more competitive swimmer, we also compete at our target meets in November & February - the BUCS Short Course & Long Course Swimming Championships based at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre in Sheffield. This is a great opportunity to swim amongst some of the best in Britain, as well as, a great time to bond as a team particularly if you decide to come along as a social member!
Whether you swam at national level or just for fun as long as you are a QMBL student or employee, we can offer you training to match your ability and offer you encouragement to aim even higher!
We look forward to meeting you at our Taster Session (more info on our Instagram & Whatsapp) where you can to find out more about us and have the chance to meet the committee to discuss all things swimming.
Before attending your first training session to decide if you want to join the club, please message a committee member on Whatsapp/Instagram first. If you decide to join the club your membership comes alongside a free hat!
Bring: Swimsuit, goggles, swim cap, towel, flip flops, bottle of water.
Equipment: Useful but definitely not essential. Training aids include a kickboard, pull buoy, paddles and fins.
Commitment levels: The Club does understand that its members have other commitments and although we would love you to come to as many sessions as possible, you can be very flexible with your membership.
Tuesday: 19:00-20:00 at Poplar Baths Leisure Centre.
Wednesday: 14:00-16:00 at Mile End Leisure Centre.
Friday: 18:30-19:30 at Poplar Baths Leisure Centre.
Saturday: Times vary. Updated weekly (via Whatsapp, Instagram, Lounge) - at London Aquatics Centre Stratford, the Olympic Pool.
2x British University Championships (BUCS):
- Short Course Championships in Sheffield around November time
- Long Course Championships in Sheffield around February time
Friendly Short Course Galas with London based Universities
- Ideal Galas for those new to competing or for getting race ready for BUCS
- Sprint distance only
How do I stay updated on social events?
- Download the Lounge app (on all App Stores)! This is where we post key updates on all social events, training changes, and competitions. Don't miss out!
- Once downloaded, sign up to the 'QMBL Swim' Lounge.
- Turn your notifications on to stay in the loop!
The club holds a range of social events throughout the academic year; this includes going to the monthly Hail Mary events (where we lilke to go a bit wild!), to more relaxed socials such as movie night, ice skating and curry nights! There is something for everyone. We try to keep up with one social a week, although this can drop within busy periods during the semester e.g. exam season.
The club intends to engage more with charities and our surrounding communities, by hosting swimathons and pub quizzes, as we recognize we are fortunate to be able to swim when so many in the UK are unable to. Millie and the team are looking forward to the year ahead for some of the best nights (and swims) of your life!
How to get Involved
- Follow Instagram page, Whatsapp & Lounge app to get in contact with the club committee members if you have any burning questions!
- Attend the Freshers fair to see us in person and sign up for a taster session (it is not compulsory to sign up you can just come along)
- Attend the taster session (let a committee member know first) - this first session is free!
- Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, socials and compete in galas all year round!
President - Anelle Utepova (email: email@example.com)