QMBL Women’s Basketball strives to be the club where everyone can perform at their best! Year after year, we welcome QM and BL players from all possible backgrounds, with or without experience in the sport, to come and join. We aim to provide a platform upon which everyone can train and improve, as well as socialise and make new friends.
Club Sport is a huge part of our University experience, and we want to make it as memorable for everyone looking to join as well. We offer the opportunity to improve basketball skills in weekly trainings, where sessions are tailored to individual needs. Our more advanced players can compete in our high-aiming BUCS performance team (1A Division) and we also have a Development Team that competes in the LUSL Intermediate Division. In addition, we enter a team into the QMSU Intramural Sport League, which is a fun opportunity open to all members where we play in a more relaxed environment against diverse teams.
As a large club, we pride ourselves on our sense of community. Our Social Secretaries arrange a variety of formal and informal socials throughout the year (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), where members can get to know each other as well as other sports clubs. For non-competitors, our base membership fee covers both socials and trainings because we want to offer all members the opportunity to build relationships both on and off court.
So no matter if you’re a beginner, an advanced player or somewhere in between, we would love to welcome you into the club!
Sundays @ Qmotion: 1st & 2nd team only.
Mondays @ Mossbourne Academy, Victoria Park: All members.
Thursdays @ Qmotion: In partnership with Get Active: This Girl Can, £2.50 per session or an annual one-off (TBC).
Equipment: Participants need only bring comfortable exercise clothing and suitable workout trainers (we recommend trainers with good ankle support). All equipment is provided.
Like our Facebook page for Taster Session information!
First Session FREE!
NB: Competing players will be selected during the first 2 weeks of training following observation from Captains and Coaches.
BUCS Division One: Wednesday's @ Mossbourne Academy for home games
LUSL Intermediate: Sunday @ Bow School for home games
QMSU Sport Leagues: Tuesday's @ Qmotion
Other Information: Game events are created on Facebook and playing members invited via the event – but we prefer having as many members of the club as possible present during home competitions to cheer!
QMSU also offers Get Active Basketball sessions for just £2.50 per session, including This Girl Can sessions, and open to all abilities. It's a fun, social, turn up and play programme, visit the Get Active site for more information.
Base membership (all members including alumni apart from semester members below):
- Monday training, coaching, insurance, equipment and socials.
Upgrade membership (for chosen competing members ONLY):
- Sunday training & coaching, matches in all leagues (including venue, officials and kit).
Semester membership (for competing study abroad students):
- All trainings, coaching, insurance, equipment, socials and matches in all leagues (including venue, officials and kit).
How to get Involved
- Join the Facebook group and get in contact with the club committee members.
- Attend a taster session - this first session is free!
- Purchase your subs and QMSU Sports membership - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete in the matches.
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, as well as a sister-gym in Charterhouse Square, Fitness to Practice, both with competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.
President: Carrie Coary (firstname.lastname@example.org)