Hello! We are the Barts and the London Music Society.
BL Music welcomes students of all musical ability and caters to the interests of everyone.
We have three main music groups:
- Choir: Tuesday 7 - 9 pm
- Orchestra: Monday (BL orchestra 6 - 7:30pm, QMBL orchestra 7:30 - 9pm)
- House band: Friday 6 - 7:30pm
Throughout the year we will have multiple concerts to give musicians a chance to showcase talents. Expect a range of performances from all our ensembles and audition for the opportunity to perform as a soloist- details regarding concert and audition dates will be made available nearer the time.
Although we meet regularly, we also have socials and joint socials within the society!
Please sign up to our email list in order to get the most up to date information about our groups via this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4XVH90jOKONryHm7TCYWOJFOhexNKrvp_qGEEEWHvBEJU0A/viewform?usp=sf_link
Feel free to message any of the committee if you have any questions!
Membership for a full year will cost £10. This will give you access to all groups in person, as well as access to the BLSA Music Room* to practise.
With our membership, you can
- Join ANY (OR ALL!) of the subgroups within the Music Society, as many as you like.
- Perform at any of our events, including concerts and Open Mic Nights at the Griff Inn.
- Send us videos of your performances for us to upload to our social media and Youtube. This is the perfect way for you to show your talent to an engaged audience.
- Request for bookings of the Music Room and the Grand Piano in the Old Library - when it is reopened and accepting room bookings, we will update you when this is possible. Note that this is subject to availability. We reserve the right to modify bookings at any given time. The booking form can be found here.
If you're keen to join us, please remember to buy subs! We would not be able to run the society without your help.
Further information on our Booking Policy can be found here.
About Our Groups
BL Voices (Choir)
(Managed by Ravleena Wasan and Thomas Japes)
Barts and The London Choir has been formed for many years and continues to go from strength to strength, performing a varied repertoire at such concerts as William Harvey Day and the Barts Guild Christmas fundraiser, and of course, those organised by the fantastic wider BL Music society. Singing is a wonderful way to deal with the pressures of university life.
(Orchestra manager: Eliott Richards; orchestra representative: Solyana Dawit)
The Barts and the London Orchestra is a professionally conducted group where students and faculty perform exciting repertoire at 3 concerts throughout the year. The BL Orchestra’s recent growth in the past few years is a culmination of the hard work, dedication, and passion of a number of extremely talented musicians. This has not only allowed the orchestra to evolve it’s own unique playing style but also to tackle more challenging pieces of work. With such a successful year behind us, we look forward to welcoming more musicians into our ever-growing family and strive to make the next year our best ever yet.
(Managed by Leo Datnow)
House Band is a small collection of musicians who love to play jazz, funk, pop and various other genres. There’s plenty of space in the group to be independent, as well as many opportunities to practice making music on a tight schedule. Improvisation is also explored, with chances to practice making music on the spot. We provide musical services throughout the medical school and beyond, including playing at concerts and open mic nights, as well as being the backbone of the band for the annual musical.