Hi there! Thanks for clicking on our page, we're glad to have you here.
We are the Queen Mary Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB) society.
In case you didn't know, LWOB is a fantastic international non-governmental and non-profit organisation composed of the largest group of volunteer lawyers globally, which works to improve access to justice, champion the rule of law (restricting the arbitrary use of power), and promoting human rights across the world.
As a student division of LWOB, our values and aims align with the larger organisation, and we also have a wonderful committee of Queen Mary students that are committed (pun intended) to organising events and opportunities for students (studying any and all courses) at both Mile End and Whitechapel campus who are keen to join in!
After a difficult year, we have a brand new committee who are excited to use this opportunity to revamp and rebrand this wonderful society!
Some of the new changes this year's committee are excited to implement are:
- A percentage of all money from membership fees, event ticket sales and merchandise sales will be going to a human rights cause of members' choice
- Weekly Instagram posts on human rights issues around the world, which members are encouraged to contribute to and suggest topics for
Other events that returning members will be more familiar with, which we also look forward to organising, are:
- Learning about & raising awareness and/or funds for human rights issues and the role of law in them
- Contributing to LWOB's ongoing projects (which can be found here) by raising awareness and/or raising funds
- Participating in the annual Rule Of Law Innovation Challenge (ROLIC)
- A team of selected members create a resource for one of LWOB's ongoing projects
- Two committee members (previous participants) will support the team throughout
- The team will also be paired with a partner law firm to mentor them on the project
- Winning submissions may be distributed as official LWOB materials
- Collaborating with other law and law-adjacent societies to organise events of interest to our members
- Hosting guest speakers
- Arranging social events
Meet our 2021-22 team!
President: Emma (she/her)
Vice President: Valeria (she/her)
Events and Marketing: Lea (she/her)
Director of Events: Rachael (she/her)
Promotion and Welfare: Gem (they/she)
Treasurer: Justine (she/her)
Secretary: Aniqa (she/her)
We are excited to make your uni experience as fun and insteresting as possible, so we are always open to your ideas, suggestions and feedback.
Feel free to dm us through our Instagram page with any questions, or visit us at the Welcome Fair on the 23rd and 24th September 2021!