Hi! We're the Queen Mary student division of the international organization Lawyers Without Borders. We host guest speakers, raise awareness (and, where possible, funds), and host an annual challenge!
Hi there! Thanks for clicking on our page, we're glad to have you here.
We are the Queen Mary Lawyers Without Borders (LWOB) society.
In case you didn't know, we are a society affiliated with the international non-governmental and non-profit organization Lawyers Without Borders. LWOB is composed of the largest group of volunteer lawyers globally, which works to improve access to justice, champion the rule of law (restricting the arbitrary use of power), and promote human rights across the world.
As a student division of LWOB, our values and aims align with the larger organization, and we also have a wonderful committee of Queen Mary students that are committed (pun intended) to organizing events and opportunities for students (studying any and all courses) at both Mile End and Whitechapel campus who are keen to join in!
Why join us?
- LWOB welcomes law and non-law students. Becoming a member and participating in our events will allow you to interact with like-minded people
- Increase your commercial awareness and help you find out more about global and local human rights.
- Be affiliated with a global organization and help you stand out as a global citizen.
- A chance to raise and voice issues important to you.
- Build a network with Law firms and other eager students
After a difficult year, we have a brand new committee who are excited to use this opportunity to restart and rebrand this wonderful society!
Some of the new changes this year's committee is excited to implement are:
- A percentage of all money from membership fees, event ticket sales, and merchandise sales will be going to a human rights cause of members' choice
- Weekly Instagram posts on human rights issues around the world, which members are encouraged to contribute to and suggest topics for
Other events that returning members will be more familiar with, which we also look forward to organizing, are:
- Learning about & raising awareness and/or funds for human rights issues and the role of law in them
- Contributing to LWOB's ongoing projects (which can be found here) by raising awareness and/or raising funds
- Participating in the annual Rule Of Law Innovation Challenge (ROLIC)
- A team of selected members create a resource for one of LWOB's ongoing projects
- Two committee members (previous participants) will support the team throughout
- The team will also be paired with a partner law firm to mentor them on the project
- Winning submissions may be distributed as official LWOB materials
- Collaborating with other law and law-adjacent societies to organize events of interest to our members
- Hosting guest speakers
- Arranging social events
Meet our 2023-2024 team!
President: Kyra Sinha (she/her)
Treasurer: Adam Jamaleddine (he/him)
Welfare Representative: Shailaja Dash (she/her)
We are excited to make your uni experience as fun and interesting as possible, so we are always open to your ideas, suggestions, and feedback. Your voice matters.
Feel free to dm us through our Instagram page with any questions!