Want to be strong and athletic while looking good? Look no further and seek out the QMBL Barbell Club! We are a close-knit group of like-minded men and women seeking to push our physical and mental limits in either of two weight lifting disciplines: Weightlifting and Powerlifting.
Weightlifting is an Olympic sport in which the athlete attempts two types of maximal single explosive lifts (the clean & jerk, and the snatch). Weightlifters primarily seek to hone the technique of these competition lifts along with improving flexibility, balance, agility and lower body strength.
Powerlifting is a sport aiming to maximally lift weights on the squat, bench press and deadlift. Powerlifters typically adopt an all rounded whole body strength training programme, with the aim of building strength in the three compound movements.
Whether you are interested in Weightlifting or Powerlifting, Queen Mary and Barts and the London’s strongest society welcomes all regardless of age, experience level and gender. We will provide you with all the equipment, coaching and competition experience needed to fuel your passion!
We also welcome casual lifters, inviting them to join and gain access to our exclusive merchandising, social events, and partnerships with brands such as:
- SBD (Get 15% off all SBD branded products)
- Weightlifting House (We offer a 10% discount on all Weightlifting House products)
- A7 (We have exclusive club discounts on A7 branded equipment and gear)
- Strengthshop (We offer our members with an exclusive club discount on strengthshop branded equipment and gear)
Our Training Times are Listed Below
(Please note, subscription is required prior to attending session.)
- Advanced/ Beginner/ Novice: Sunday 17:00 - 20:00
- Competition Group: Thursday 17:00 - 21:30
Equipment: No equipment needed to start!
Commitment levels required: Athough there is no pressure to compete, we expect committed members to train 3-5 times a week depending on program, including one coached session per week. Payment is regarded as commitment, we expect the programs given by our coaches to be followed closely and safely.
The BWL London and South East Series takes place tri-monthly culminating in the London and South East Championships throughout the year.
Our biggest event for the year is the BWL British University & College Championships, where we compete against weightlifters from other universities.
Powerlifters can compete in multiple competitions including:
- British Powerlifting regional powerlifting competitions for Greater London in Bethnal Green (occurring throughout the year).
- British Nationals (dependant on obtaining a qualifying total)
- British University Powerlifting Championships in March
- World University Powerlifting Championships (if the club qualifies at British University competition. The club was present at the 2017 event in South Africa.
We have exclusive merch coming soon!
- We have custom QMBL Barbell Club t-shirts (in sizes S-2XL) on the way, which will be available for sale soon
- We will be releasing more items soon...
How to get involved
QMSU offers a gym on the Mile End campus, Qmotion, which offers competitive student membership rates. This is ideal for students who want to purchase a gym membership - which is separate from a Club Sport subs - to improve and maintain peak physical fitness.
With every gym membership, you get a free 60 minute one-to-one session with trained instructors which includes:
- A personalised gym programme tailored to your own fitness goals;
- A full demonstration of exercise and techniques, and guidance on resistance machines;
- Information and advice on nutrition;
- A 60 minute review session every 6-8 weeks to re-evaluate and re-customise a new programme to avoid plateaus.