In the 2023/24 academic year, our club aims to provide both competitive and developing volleyball players opportunities to play more of the sport and to meet others with similar passions. This year our club will be offering:
- The opportunity to join a competitive BUCS volleyball team:
- Our club's Women's team currently competes in BUCS southeastern Division 1, playing against teams from universities such as King's College London, Imperial College of London, University of Essex and University of Surrey.
- Our club's Men's team currently competes in BUCS southeastern Division 2, playing against teams from universities such as Middlesex University London, St Mary's University Twickenham London, Brunel University London, City, University of London and London School of Economics.
- The opportunity to join a competitive LUSL mixed-gender volleyball team in Division 1.
- Socials: from team dinners to Hail Mary, QMVC offers a wide range of socials for team members.
Our volleyball club strives to help improve personal and inter-personal skills such as, communication, cooperation and to create a competitive space for players to play volleyball, whilst giving our club members an opportunity to have fun while doing so. This year, our club is committed to host more events and social volleyball sessions which those who follow our club can attend.
All students who wish to join QMVC must attend trials. The Men's team's trials will be held on the 25th of September and the Women's team's trials on the 26th of September. This will be the first opportunity for players to attend trials this competitive season, followed by another round of trials in late January. A few things you need to know before the trials:
Your skills and overall attitude will be taken into account when the committee organises the teams. These trials are not for beginners or those with limited experience in playing the sport competitively.
Please complete the full registration process. Those who have not completed the full registration process will be turned away immediately.
For the men's trials, everyone will meet at the East Gate (the blue gates which are close to Mile End station) at around 5:30pm and then we will all walk towards St Paul's Trust Way School (E3 4FT).
For the women's trials, please meet at University of East London's SportsDock (E16 2RD) 10 minutes before your trial group's session.
January Trials: Due to a large number of players being in the team already in the first semester, we can only accept a handful more players onto the teams. Therefore, after completing the google form, only those who are selected (based on experience) and contacted by a member of the committee will be invited to trials. In these trials, we will mostly be looking for students who have experience playing volleyball to fill spaces on the teams.
Trainings will take place on Mondays at St Paul's Trust Way School.
- The Women's team trains from 6:00 - 7:30pm
- The men's team trains from 7:30 - 9:00pm
Before every training, those coming from campus will meet by the East Gate at 5:30 pm, we will then walk to training all together (15 minute walk).
Commitment levels required to play on our teams: Attendance at weekly Monday training sessions and availability to play on Wednesdays. Players with strong commitments to the club will be favoured in the process of team selection. The three-strike rule will see a warning issued at first, followed by a game suspension for a second strike. If a player receives three strikes there will be a discussion within the committee regarding your place at the club.
BUCS matches, LUSL matches and the Merger Cup against Barts' volleyball teams.
How to get Involved
- Follow us on Instagram, join our QM Volleyball 23/24 Whatsapp group chat (linked in our Instagram bio) to stay updated on upcoming events and announcements and get in contact with the club committee members.
- Attend our trials in September/January.
- Purchase your subs - at the Hub (Mile End), BLSA reception (Whitechapel) or online.
- Enjoy! Take part in the sessions, and compete in the matches.
If you are a beginner, tried out for one of our teams but was unsuccessful, or you are looking for a commitment-free way to play volleyball in a relaxed setting, try QM Volleyball's Get Active sessions which will be hosted and supervised by QMVC's players twice a week.
Learn more about Get Active on our Instagram account, our QM Volleyball 23/24 Whatsapp group chat or on the SU website.
President - Naomi Sato Trevatt (email@example.com)
Treasurer - Julius Franz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Women's Captain - Masa Teofilovic (email@example.com)
Men's Captain - Justin Ishak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Social Media Secretary - Emitayo Awofala (email@example.com)
Welfare Officer - Clement Khoo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Social Secretary - Silvia Fattori (email@example.com)