Every Medical and Dental graduate is invited to Rites of Passage, held at St Paul’s Cathedral. This is the official BLSA farewell for these students and where students read out the Declaration of Geneva (a modern-day Hippocratic Oath) and celebrate both their academic and extracurricular achievements from their 4, 5, 6 or even 7 years at Medical and Dental School. As well as medical and dental graduates, loved ones, academic staff, Deans and educators are invited to attend.
• Graduands enter via the South Doors at 6:15pm.
• Guests enter via the West Doors at 6:30pm.
• VIPs and those with access requirements enter via the North Doors at 6:30pm.
• The ceremony begins at 7pm prompt.
• The ceremony ends at 9:45pm.
• Every graduand is reserved 4x tickets. One for themselves and three for their guests.
• Round 1 Ticket release will be open until 15th June midday. There is no rush to buy tickets during this period as everyone is guaranteed four, and you will be unable to purchase more.
• Should you not buy your reserved tickets during round 1, please be aware that these will no longer be reserved when the remaining tickets are released in round 2.
• Round 2 Ticket release will be after resit results in mid-June. The remaining tickets will be released for general sale. You can buy as many tickets as you wish, without limit. No tickets will be reserved during this release, it will be first come first served.
• Ticket collection will be in two ways; at the BLSA Reception between 26th June and 14th July (normal opening hours only) or at gown collection at the Mile End SU Hub on 17th July.
• You and your guests MUST show a ticket to enter St Pauls
• Guest tickets are transferable so you can change who you are bringing up until the day of Rites of Passage, however, when you buy tickets, it will ask you for the guests name and email address, and any accessibility requirements.
• When you purchase your tickets please inform us of any accessibility requirements of your guests, if you do not provide this information at time of purchase, or if these requirements change, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Date and Gowning
• Monday 17th July 2023. It is the same day as your QMUL graduation
• You must wear academic dress with the Barts and the London hood, to be permitted to cross the platform at St Pauls
• The university will email you with instructions on how to reserve or buy your gown.
• Collection = 9am till 5pm at the Student Union Hub, Mile End for all students, regardless of whether they are attending both QMUL Graduation and Rites of Passage, or just one of these events. Please note that queues may form, especially towards the end of the day, so early arrival and pre-booking is highly recommended.
• www.marstonrobing.com 01264339706
• Return = return gowns to the Crypts under the Cathedral. Stewards will be present to direct you towards the crypts.
• As the event organisers, the BLSA only recognises the following awards:
• Association Awards (for exceptional contribution to the BLSA)
• Student Group Blues
• Student Group Colours
• Distinctions or Merits awarded by Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, acquired during your years of medical study ONLY
• Prizes awarded by Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, acquired during your years of medical study ONLY
• (Prizes not awarded by BLSMD or those awarded for your intercalation will NOT be included in the ceremony)
• Your Association Awards, and Blues or Colours badges will be on your seat in the Cathedral
• Photography and livestreaming will be provided by Gary Schwartz, who has covered the ceremony for many years.
• The livestream will be available for free on YouTube
• Photography, including your individual pictures with you posing with your scrolls will be made available shortly after the service on Gary Schwartz's website, and will be available for you to download in high quality resolution for free.
• Guest seating is unreserved.
• No movement of chairs, or use of stacked chairs is permitted.
• Eating, drinking, helium balloons and group photography are not permitted within the Cathedral.
• Do not leave bags unattended.
• Bag searches will occur on entry, please have bags ready for checks.
• There is no checking facility, no luggage or suitcases are permitted.
• Please take all your rubbish with you at the end of the ceremony.
• This is a fund open to medical & dental graduands in financial need
• Link to apply for financial support for Rites of Passage / Graduation Dinner can be found here. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.