The British Red Cross is one of 191 national societies of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement who's central aim is to help people in crisis both in the UK and abroad. We have 7 fundamental principles which guide our work: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity, and Universality.
Red Cross on Campus aims to promote these principles to students and get young people engaged with the work of the Red Cross. We welcome students studying any subject. Whether that be International Relations, Biomed, Law, or anything else there's something for everyone.
In 2019-20 our aims are to equip students with the skills, experience, and knowledge that will allow them to effectively contribute to the work of the Red Cross and make a real difference to those in crisis. These skills will also boost your CV and benefit you when pursuing internships/careers both in and outside the humanitarian and NGO sectors!
Therefore, some of our plans for the year are:
- Missing Maps: a volunteering opportunity on campus where volunteers can map out 'missing' areas where disasters have taken place to help relief efforts in those areas.
- Humanitarian workshops: in the past we have held a Refugee Awareness Workshop and an International Humanitarian Law Workshop with external speakers from the British Red Cross.
- First Aid: our Positive Mental Health workshop will provide you with some basic skills on maintaining your general mental wellbeing. We also offer an official Emergency First Aid at Work course at a discounted price for society members where you can become a qualified First Aider!
- External volunteering: we aim to advertise volunteering opportunities taking place outside of campus with the British Red Cross throughout the year and give you help on making any applications for these volunteering opportunities when necessary.
- Wrapping for Refugees: this is an event that is annually run by the British Red Cross where we put together boxes with gifts for refugees during the festive season
- Due to the pandemic, we are running multiple projects over instagram. So far we have participated in Black History Month with informative posts, collectively completed 60km for Movember, had a logo re-design contest and more. We are always excited for any contribution, so if you feel that you have a relevant post for us to upload to the @qmulredcross instagram, definitely send it over! (we will give you credit of course)
Also, if you would like to make a donation to a British Red Cross appeal of your choice - please follow this link below:
Thank you for your support!