Due to the state funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II there are some changes to Students' Union services and the Freshers' events programme on Monday 19th September.
The day of the Queen’s State Funeral has been designated as a Bank Holiday and many University activities have been suspended. There are some changes to our venue opening hours and Freshers’ events programme to respect the nature of the day and to ensure people have the opportunity to pay tribute to the late Queen and watch the funeral, whilst ensuring students continue to be supported and welcomed to Queen Mary.
For our previous statement regarding HM Queen Elizabeth II please click here.
Venue Opening Hours
On Monday 19th September, Students’ Union spaces will have amended opening hours throughout the day;
- Qmotion Sport & Fitness Centre: 10am-6pm
- Ground Café: 10am-4pm
- Village Shop: 10am-4pm
- Drapers Bar & Kitchen: 4pm-8pm
- The Griff Inn: 3pm-7pm
- The Shield Cafe: 8:30am-2:30pm. The space will remain open after 2:30pm for any students wanting to study or socialise, but the Cafe itself will be closed after this time.
The Union Shop, Students’ Union Hub and BLSA Building will be closed.
The Nest remains closed as a social & study space until Monday 26th September due to Welcome Week events taking place in the space.
There are some changes to the previously advertised Freshers’ events programme;
- Online Fitness Class: This event is cancelled, the next online fitness session will take place on Friday 23rd September at 8am.
- Speed Meeting: This event has been rescheduled to Tuesday 20th September 6pm-9pm and will now take place on the Queen’s Building Lawn (Marquee)
- PostGrad Mixer: PG Research: This event has been rescheduled to Friday 23rd September 6pm – 9pm at Drapers Bar & Kitchen.
- ICEBREAKER at Sway Bar: This event will be rescheduled to either Monday or Tuesday the following week, details to follow.
- Monday’s Calling: The first Monday’s Calling of the year will be cancelled. The first event will now take place on Monday 26th September, 10pm-2am. This event takes place every other Monday in Drapers Bar & Kitchen.
Our online What’s On page has been updated with the amended event details and all information is now correct.
The State Funeral
The University have arranged for the State Funeral to be televised on the Mile End, Whitechapel and Charterhouse Square campuses, for any students and staff present on or living near to campus to watch. No booking is required, and further information can be found here.
For further details about other University Services on Monday 19th September please visit the University new student website.