An update on our spaces following the lifting of most nationwide Covid-19 restrictions.
We hope you are safe and well and have managed to spend some time enjoying the sunny, warm weather!
Throughout the past 17 months, we’re proud that we have been able to continue providing a variety of activities, events and services for students at Queen Mary, whilst keeping open many of our spaces in a safe and secure way. We know it has been a particularly challenging period for everyone, but by working together and supporting each other we feel we have tried to do our best for students and operated successfully, so a massive thank you to everyone! We also want to thank all our student staff, elected student representatives and the full-time staff team who have made such a difference through their hard work and efforts.
Following the government removing nearly all Covid-19 restrictions on Monday, and the release of updated guidance for universities, we have now reviewed our approach to Covid-19 safety as a Students’ Union. Our priority continues to be the wellbeing and welfare of all students and staff. Where possible, we will be aligning our guidelines to those of the University to ensure a similar approach on campus. We are confident that as we transition into this lifting of nationwide restrictions, we can continue to provide safe and welcoming spaces for everyone.
Despite the lifting of restrictions there’s still lots we all need to do to help keep ourselves and each other safe and well over the coming weeks and months. Please remember that whilst the end of Covid-19 restrictions is clearly welcomed by many people, some students and staff may feel anxious and concerned, so please consider this when using our spaces. If you need any support please reach out to us.
Keeping you safe and comfortable in our spaces
- Face Coverings: The University have updated their face covering policy to reflect government guidance. We continue to encourage you to wear a face covering when moving around Students’ Union spaces or if you are interacting with others, particularly when it is busy or crowded. Please remember that wearing a face covering helps to reduce the spread of Covid-19 and can help to reassure others using our spaces and make them feel more comfortable.
- Hand sanitiser: We will maintain hand sanitiser stations in our spaces and encourage everyone to use these regularly, particularly when entering and exiting a space.
- One-way systems: Our temporary one-way systems have been removed and our normal entrance / exit points are open again.
- Cleaning: We will continue to clean our spaces throughout the day to maintain a safe and hygienic environment.
- Ventilation: Our spaces have been checked to ensure there is good ventilation and airflow. We continue to work with the University to re-check our spaces.
- Test & Trace: Please continue to scan in each time you use our spaces.
- Testing: We encourage all students to take regular lateral flow tests. You can do this through a home testing kit or at the onsite testing centre at Muccis. You can also collect home testing kits from Muccis (Mile End), Blizard Institute Building (Whitechapel) and Dawson Hall main foyer (Charterhouse Square), further information can be found here. If using a home testing kit please ensure you register the result. From the beginning of August, the testing centre at Mile End is scheduled to move to the ground floor of the temporary building.
- Self-isolation & symptoms: If you test positive for Covid-19 you must self-isolate. Further information about self-isolating can be found here. If you have symptoms of Covid-19 you should follow government advice on booking a test and self-care.
As a Students’ Union, we will keep these measures under review. Our approach is flexible, and we will monitor and adjust our measures in response to any local outbreaks, changes in the national advice and student feedback. If you have any comments or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A reminder that if you’re in need of support please do reach out.
Update on Students’ Union spaces from Monday 19th July
Qmotion Sport & Fitness Centre
- Summer opening hours: Monday to Friday: 7am-9pm / Weekends: 10am-6pm
- Our shower facilities have now re-opened!
- Our great value 8-week membership is available until 31st July. Find out more here
Additional measures in this space
- Please continue cleaning equipment after use by using our self-cleaning stations.
- Where possible please change into your gym clothing at home to reduce crowding in the changing rooms.
- Summer opening hours: Monday to Friday: 9am-4pm
- Indoor seating area re-opened
- Summer opening hours: Monday to Friday: 9am-4pm
Drapers & The Griff Inn
Drapers Bar & Kitchen and The Griff Inn are now closed for the summer vacation period as normal and will re-open in September.
Students’ Union Hub, Multi-Faith Centre, Union Shop, BLSA Building
These spaces will re-open in September.
Shield Café, Charterhouse Square
This space is closed for refurbishment works and will re-open in September.
Academic Advice Service
An online service continues to run. More information about the service can be found here.
Events & Activities
Most of our on-campus events and activities have now ended and will resume in mid-August.
If you have any comments or questions please contact us at email@example.com.