Date lapsed: November 2023
Proposed by: Talhah Atcha
Seconded by: Megan Annetts (BLSA President), Lizzie Hunter (Sustainability Officer), Stephanie Onamade (Socialist Workers Student Society President), Rosa Hughes (Medical Student), Beth Gwyther (Medical Student), Nian Li (Medical Student), Bethan Turner (Physics Student)
What do you want?
- The Students’ Union to declare a Climate Emergency
- The Students’ Union to create a Sustainability Strategy looking at removing all single use plastic in outlets as well as campaigns to lobby the university
- The Union to lobby the University to declare a Climate Emergency
- The Union to lobby the University to create a sustainability strategy and overarching policy which includes becoming carbon neutral by 2025, embedding sustainability in all course curriculum and working with the Local Council on becoming more sustainable and helping to educate the public on this vital issue
Why do you want it?
The world is dying and with each day the situation gets worse.
- In less than 12 years the global climate impact will be completely irreversible.
- Air quality and pollution is intrinsically linked with climate change
- Tower Hamlets currently has illegal levels of Nitrogen Dioxide and unacceptably high particulate matter.
- Children in Tower Hamlets have on average 5-10% smaller lungs than average
- 7.4% of all deaths in people over 30 years old are attributable to particulate air pollution
What impact will this have?
This will help reduce and remove the impact the Union and University have on the environment. It will also help improve the local area through education and working with the local authority on reducing and removing their environmental impact.