It's been an amazing year for sport here at Queen Mary. With countless achievements and so many students taking part, it's been a year full of highs and something to celebrate.
It's been an amazing year for sport here at Queen Mary. With countless achievements and so many students taking part, it's been a year full of highs and something to celebrate. With over 3,000 students participating in Club Sport alone, our highest membership number ever, we thank everyone who took part this year.
While it isn’t possible to include everything, we did our best to summarise our most notable successes:
- We’ve had 8 clubs winning league titles, 4 winning cup titles in BUCS/LUSL and other national sport competitions.
- We have 16 athletes on our Talented Athlete Programme this year, competing nationally and internationally, which is a massive increase from previous years!
- 378 club sport committee members volunteered their time to create strong communities and opportunities for their members, which become such a crucial part of your university experience and beyond.
- We also have 29 Community Foundation Leaders, with 9 of them having received awards as part of our Leadership Academy. A grand total of 683 hours of these Community Foundation Leaders' time has been spent coaching, officiating, and leading sports events.
- Countless people engaged with campaigns like This Girl Can, Movember and Women in Sport, our Merger campaign, with clubs like BL Water Polo, QM Football, Netball and Rugby also notably hosting a multitude of charity events and tournaments.
- We can’t forget the Merger Cup! We had record amounts of people participating this year, with Barts ultimately taking the Cup home after a close fight.
- At Sports Awards we welcomed over 150 people to celebrate achievements in sport this year, with QMBL Fencing winning the Club of the Year Award.
- Our Get Active sessions led to 6083 engagements, with QM Volleyball winning the Get Active Contribution of the Year Award and QMBL Fencing and Cheerleading being nominated.
- Finally, our Inter-Halls Games have had 93 engagements across 18 different Halls.
- We also successfully partnered with a club for the first time, with Queen Mary Archery being a massive help with our Archery Tag session.
Our programmes are always improving and expanding so that you, our students, can keep developing to the best of your abilities. So, keep breaking these records, transcending barriers and astounding us with talents, enthusiasm and perseverance. Ultimately, we owe you all a massive thank you.
Is there anything you think we missed, or something you’d like to see us do in the future? Let us know below using our feedback form.